May 21, 2018
ParkMyCloud has declared it has made numerous updates to its cloud cost supervision and optimization platform including the alternative to park new kinds of Google Cloud Platform (GCP) resources.
GCP administered instance groups are Google’s equivalent of AWS Auto Scaling groups. They utilize an instance pattern to generate same groups. Instead of administering each instance individually, any modifications that are made to one instance can be immediately applied to all others in the group.
These days, through ParkMyCloud, GCP administered instance groups can be parked when they aren’t in use. ParkMyCloud already lets AWS Auto Scaling groups to be parked, and the functionality to park Microsoft Azure Scale Sets will be included in the next few days.
Rather than just turning GCP groups on and off, the platform lets you set high and low phases and set a highest and lowest number of resources for groups when you set your parking timetables.
For GCP Administered Groups with Auto scaling it’s not possible to completely shut off the resources. They can have a lowest of 1 instance in the low or off position. GCP Groups without auto scaling can be completely shut off, and have the lowest size of 0 instances in the low/off position.
Through the ParkMyCloud console, unmanaged groups will look as normal resources and can be administered and planned separately, even though it’s possible to administer them as a group by generating a ParkMyCloud logical group for planning purposes.
Other prominent modifications in the newest roundup updates include the renaming of the schedule ‘Snooze’ option. While the name defines the action correctly – The snooze function lets users snooze the timetable and provisionally switch it off – it caused a misunderstanding with some clients who thought that snoozing implied switching off the resources, when only the on/off timetable was stopped. Snooze has now been altered to ‘override’ to assist clear up this misunderstanding. You can supersede your normal on/off timetable for a set time period or until a specific time.
ParkMyCloud has also made modifications to its 14-day free test, which now provides possible new clients Enterprise Tier product access, letting them try out the product free of charge on unlimited instanced, groups, cloud accounts, and users, and access database parking, SmartParking, as well as the user import/export characteristic. This provides new clients a much better sense of the total savings that can be realized by using the platform.
Existing users will benefit from the following updates:
- The new alternative of distributing the commendations screen to CSV for simple sharing as well as analysis.
- The addition of an online assistance alternative on every page in the console that connects to the related unit of the PMC user guide.
- Superadmins now emerge as greyed-out users on all team lists.
- User-level notices have been made more noticeable, with a connection from the org/team level notices screen.
- The source screen has been made more mobile-friendly with developments made to scrolling.
- Schedule/Start/Stop/Team/Group knobs are now always noticeable and only enabled when proper instances are tested.
- The platform also contains numerous performance improvements for clients with large numbers of devices and timetables.